Re: Redesign of diskless NFS-root package & ITP diskless-image

On Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 05:14:30PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 11:46:36AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> > [description removed]
>
> I have made most of the changed required for my redesign of diskless.
> Amazingly, it looks like no changed are required for dpkg. I haven't
> yet tested anything though, and implementing secure mode might be a bit
> awkward. Currently I am considering the following:

I have the my first redesigned version of my diskless package
online at http://snoopy.apana.org.au/~ftp/files/debian/diskless/.

This directory contains a Packages file, so I will leave it as a
challenge to anyone who wants to use apt ;-)

Eventually, I will upload it to master, however, I would prefer
it if others could test it first... There may be obvious errors
that I haven't yet noticed that need to be fixed.

I don't think it can do any damage to your system, even if you do
attempt to install one of the diskless-image-*.deb packages manually
onto your NFS-server's root partition. However, please be careful
that you don't overwrite your lilo configuration on your server, if
installing a new kernel package (using dpkg --root)...

Please start with diskless_*.deb. It contains documentation, and uses
one of diskless-image-simple_*.deb or diskless-image-secure_*.deb. I
haven't yet fully tested diskless-image-secure_*.deb, but "it should
work" (read that as: wont work). diskless-image-simple_*.deb
seems to work OK.

The documentation is in the diskless_*.deb package:

>ls -l /usr/doc/diskless
total 15
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         7405 Sep 23 16:03 README.Debian.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4004 Sep 23 15:55 TODO
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1703 Sep 16 15:12 changelog.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          511 Jun 13 14:21 copyright

The top two files are the most important.

Any ideas on better names for diskless-image-simple_*.deb? simple
sounds to simplistic for my tastes ;-).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>