Re: dist-upgrade and perl

Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> apt-get dist-upgrade' does /not/ upgrade perl from 5.004 to 5.005
> for the same reason it won't upgrade emacs19 to emacs20.  They
> are different packages.  The package is perl-5.005_5.005.03 and
> not perl_5.005.03, and so the package `name' is perl-5.005 and
> not simply `perl'.
>
> I don't know if it was supposed to replace perl-5.004
> automatically.

---end quoted text---

Yes, I realize they are different packages.  But is it possible that
for a script to depend on perl-5.005 features?  I don't know perl well
at all, so I have no clue except for the behaviour I mentioned in my

Regards,
Steve

Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 Reboots are for kernel and hardware upgrades.