Re: Announcing debconf, configuration management for debian

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 11:02:58AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 02:57:42PM -0600, Scott Barker wrote:
> > dpkg -i <package>
> > dpkg-reconfigure
> >
> > you could just run:
> >
> > dpkg -i --reconfigure <package>
> >
> > I'm probably thinking too far ahead right now, though...
>
> Why would you install the package (which presumably includes
> configuration) and then immediately reconfigure it?

The whole purpose of Wichert's spec is to force packages to install with a
default configuration, and then reconfigure themselves with data from the
database after installation. Whether questions are (all) asked before or
after installation is a secondary point....

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..avan@calpoly.edu.. ..aaronv@debian.org..
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.