Re: Announcing debconf, configuration management for debian

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 02:12:06PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Not really. I named it dpkg-reconfigure for a reason. :-)

Excellent! :)

> Oh, that's not the problem. Dpkg-repack should pick up that file fine. What
> it won't pick up is the actual answers you've given to the questions, which
> are stored in some debconf db somewhere.

It's probably anathema to suggest, but what if there was a utility that could
export the data from the debconf db back into the template file? I know that
would be a terrible hack, and would fiddle with the dpkg files, which we're
not supposed to do, but if the only purpose is for an administrator to be able
to use dpkg-repack, I think it should be ok.

--
Scott Barker       scott@mostlylinux.ab.ca
Linux Consultant   http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott

Looking for a husband? Know anyone looking for a husband? Well, I'm looking
for a wife. See http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/wife.shtml

Want a good deal on a personal computer in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?
Visit http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/computers.shtml

[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"At Group L, Stoffel oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial
   challenge roughly comparable to herding cats."
   - The Washington Post Magazine, June 9, 1985