Re: ProFTPd being lame

On Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 06:49:55PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> I use Roxen exclusively as a httpd where I have a say on the matter,
> but it is mainly a httpd, and lacks configuration features (like
> chrooting some selected users into different roots) I use with
> proftpd, although I have a *very* small host, no virtual hosting etc.

It's true that roxen's design prevents chrooting ftp if you are running
a non chrooted web server on the same system.

However, it's silly to be running a non-chrooted web server if you want
a chrooted ftp server.  And, with a little work, roxen could support
running chrooted.  [And it would be reasonable to lose the ability to
reconfigure it at run time from the administrative web interface --
that's probably good from a security standpoint.  The other option,
putting the config file in the chrooted area, is also viable but would
be less secure.]

--
Raul