Re: Announcing debconf, configuration management for debian

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 02:11:20PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Have you looked at debconf at all? Because..
>
> Scott Barker wrote:

Of course not; people are, sadly, always trying to redesign things they
don't even understand.

I, for one, am delighted to see this tool come to light after years of
design and discussion.  Many thanks for being the one who actually
implemented it, Joey!

I suspect that, once Debian has gotten migrated to it, this will represent
a quantum leap forward for us, and ultimately, we'll see the highest form
of flattery as other distros borrow it and hack it up for their own
purposes.  At least a couple will probably try to violate the GPL in the
process.

Debian has long had the best packaging system of any Linux distribution
(though not the easiest to use from the *developer's* standpoint, which is
dpkg is so widely slandered as inferior to rpm -- and yet, between
debhelper, Doogie's Build System, lintian, and some good documentation,
even those objections can be soundly squashed); now we will have the best
configuration system as well.

Thanks again, Joey.  I look forward to migrating XFree86 to debconf (won't
happen for -1, but I'm hoping to tackle FHS-compliance and this for -2).

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   screaming mob pounding on a greasy spot