Re: Crazy Idea: debian developer conference

On 16-Sep-99, 00:05 (CDT), Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> 		Preferably somewhere with a high density of debian developers.
> 		The California Bay Area (20 some developers with many more
> 		nearby) and the Netherlands come to mind. We'd need a map of
> 		where people live to make an informed choice.

On the one hand, it's usually cheaper for someone in the US to fly to
Europe than the reverse. On the other hand, internal Europe flights tend
to be much more expensive than internal US flights. On the gripping
hand, trains in Europe are reasonable choice.

(Or at least all of the above was true a few years ago -- I haven't done
much business travel the last couple of years.)

I think the overall choice would be highly dependent on "how many from
where".

> 		I'm figuring around $700 per developer, for plane fare and
> 		lodging.

That seems low, but if you've actually looked up some prices, I won't
argue.

> If 250 attend that's $175k. Plus some unkown amount to rent out a
> convention center.

Something you might consider is that colleges and universities often
rent out dorm rooms in the summer. It wouldn't be plush, of course, but
you'd probably be able to get a decent choice of facilities, and high
bandwidth net connections for free or cheap. Speaking for myself, I'd
gladly stay in a dorm room if that made the event feasible, or made it
possible more more people to attend.

> Is this idea worth pursuing?

It's a neat idea, and I'd sure like to meet my fellow Debianers, but
I doubt you'll get anybody to pay for it.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read