Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Steve Lamb writes ("Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])"):
>Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 11:25:11 PM, Jakob wrote:
>> software. FHS states that /usr must be sharable over a network - e.g. if I
>
>    Thank you for finally providing a very good reason for a new top level
>domain.  About the only thing missing, IMHO, is a specific cite from the FHS
>(section number would be good) but I'll take your word for it.

Did you *ever* even *attempt* to read the FHS?  It took me less time
for me to find this than it did for you to whine about not having a
specific cite.

Section 4.  First Paragraph:

4 The /usr Hierarchy

/usr is the second major section of the filesystem. /usr is shareable,
read-only data. That means that /usr should be shareable between
various hosts running FHS-compliant and should not be written to. Any
information that is host-specific or varies with time is stored
elsewhere.

(from http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.html)

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			PhD. Candidate and Sysadmin
bofh@me.umn.edu				University of MN, ME Dept