Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 10:27:47 AM, Jonathan wrote:
> Source code is not variable.  Once its downloaded and compiled, it just
> sits there.  The whole point of a "ports" collection is that for a given
> package, you have the corresponding source to every binary.  That does not
> change. It belongs in /usr/pkg

    The database that constitutes the ports is variable.  The source code
itself does change at the same rate as the database if not more so because
most software is constantly changing.  According to this logic, all the *.deb
packages apt and dpkg download should go in /usr, not /var.