Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     See, this little subthread came from that where someone said
> /usr/packages, which was shortened to /usr/pac (IIRC), then /usr/pkg,
> whereupon I jumped right back in and pointed out /var/pkg and forgot the lib
> in /var/lib/dpkg.

Source code is not variable.  Once its downloaded and compiled, it just
sits there.  The whole point of a "ports" collection is that for a given
package, you have the corresponding source to every binary.  That does not
change. It belongs in /usr/pkg