Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 9:45:58 AM, Jonathan wrote:
> Steven, you have no clue what we were even talking about do you.  Go away.

    I know enough to quote properly.  I know enough to know that where this
whole branch of the thread started was about stuffing a database of possible
"packages" like FreeBSD's ports tree into /usr so someone could enter it, run
a command, and have it retrieve the sources, compile and install.  I know
enough that the whole "ports" idea is, the last I read, going to be a part of
apt.  I also know enough that apt works with dpkg and dpkg has a database of
"packages" in /var/lib/dpkg (sorry, forgot the /var).

    Does it not stand to reason, then, that if we were to create a new utility
to duplicate what is already being done that the database, which is variable,
be located where the other, similar database is stored for the very same
reasons, that it is variable... in /var?

    See, this little subthread came from that where someone said
/usr/packages, which was shortened to /usr/pac (IIRC), then /usr/pkg,
whereupon I jumped right back in and pointed out /var/pkg and forgot the lib
in /var/lib/dpkg.

    Does that about cover it or do you want me to go into my archives to quote
the entire sequence to this point?