Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 9:40:22 AM, Branden wrote:
> On the contrary, you seem to believe your opinion should carry at least
> equal weight to all the precedent and tradition that conflicts with it.

    No, I have asked for and never got a valid *TECHNICAL* reason for it.  It
took well over a day for it.  Apparently people here, yourself included now,
are more interested in brow-beating people instead of offering real answers to
real questions.

> Your greatest talent seems to lie in wasting the time of people who are
> actually trying to make meaningful contributions to free software.
> Congratulations.

    If they answered the questions posed instead of being pricks about it,
their time would not be wasted, would it?  No.

> That is why you get the chilly reception you do.

    Incorrect, I get the chilly reception I do because I don't bow and scrape
to every half-assed answer presented to me and then slither into the corner
like a good little lemming.

> No one questions your right to set up/break your own machines however you
> please. But they will challenge your attempts to remold the world to fit
> your personal esthetic.

    A personal esthetic, I might add, that was founded on technical reasoning
based on the facts at hand that was challenging other's assertations on those
grounds and receiving little more than a "because we feel like it" in
response.  I don't know about you, but "because we feel like it" doesn't cut
the mustard in a technical discussion.  I doubt that you'd accept it.

> If you really want to impact this issue, I suggest you attempt to join the
> FHS committee.  I wouldn't be surprised if they turn you down, though.  You
> seem to be more concerned with a kind of self-aggrandizing partisanship
> than with resolving real-world technical issues.

    No, I don't want to impact the issue.  I wanted a technical reason for it
or nothing.