Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 6:25:12 AM, Marek wrote:
> * Steve Lamb said:

>>     Considering one can install a fairly robust system (FreeBSD, Debian) over
>> FTP/NFS in under an hour and it takes 2-3 to go through a gig of data I would
>> much rather reinstall the programs and retrieve the relatively small data
>> (/etc, btw, is data).

> I can't believe what I'm reading. So you say, you are able to a) reinstal an
> OS, b) configure EVERYTHING as it was before, c) restore all the data within
> an hour? Bravo. You're the best. I wish I was the same.

    No.  You can't read, can you.  *sigh*  I really *HATE* people like you.
Loath is more like it.

"Consider one can install a fairly robust system (FreeBSD, Debian) over
FTP/NFS..."

    Now, *YOU* tell *ME* how that translates into reinstalling, configuring
and restoring all data.

    Here's a clue for you.  IT DOESN'T.  I only mentioned installing the OS.

    Step 2 would be to restore configs from backup as it is easier to just
backup /etc and not everything to go with it.  Step 3 is restoring the data.
I only covered step 1 as compared to doing the *SAME THING* from tape.

    Do *NOT* put words into my mouth.  *READ* what was written and not what
you *THINK* was written.  Get a clue.