Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was:

Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 4:15:52 AM, Marek wrote:
> As usually, you weren't listening. Somebody in this thread has said why it
> is good to use /opt for third-party (usually commercial) packages:

    I am listening.  Others aren't thinking.  Let me use your example as an
example.

> /usr - controlled by Debian
> /usr/local - controlled by *me* - a local admin
> /opt - controlled by *them* - the commercial vendors

> Can't you really see the difference between *local* packages and those you
> cannot control (the commercial ones)?

    Sure I can.  Now, *YOU* tell *ME* why you can't see the similarities
between /usr/local and /usr/opt in the above scenerio.  I mean, if /usr is
controlled by Debian then /usr/local, being a branch of /usr, would *ALSO* be
controlled by Debian.  Oh, that isn't the case.  So why then could /usr/opt
also fall under that same "no touch" rule that /usr/local enjoys?