Re: Increasing regularity of build systems

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:54:15PM -0500, Erick Kinnee wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:23:50PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > > No.
> >
> > Uhm, WTH is that about? No, what? No, they suck? No, don't standardize?
>
> No, don't standardize.
>
> > How about a better idea maybe?
>
> If there were some specific problems here, I would certainly help in
> the design of a good solution.  But there is no point trying to solve
> a problem of which only the proposer knows what it is!

The specific problem is that with multiple "optional" helper packages
available, all are being used somewhere to build some package, so, if you
want to build all packages in Debian, you _must_ first install _all_ of
the helper packages.

> > I think it's a nice idea, but hard to do.
>
> I would be against standardisation on any helper package, unless there
> were *really* good reasons for it.

There _is_ a really good reason, and I would suggest that we go farther
than "standardizing" on one over another, we should incorporate the helper
scripts into dpkg, so there is only _one_ package you need to build
source. (yes, I know that there are other, unavoidable, source
dependencies, besides the helper scripts, which must be buildable as well)
We should also require that packages that are essential to the
build process, not use any helper packages other than the dpkg
incorporated tools, keeping the source dependency tree "managable".

Luck,

Dwarf