Re: Backups (was: /opt/ again)

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 04:04:01PM +0200, Anders Arnholm wrote:
>  >  Depends on what you have on there.  If it is stuff that is easily replaced
>  > from source, recompile.  I'd backup the sources, not the programs
>  > themselves

> It's almost always faster to recreate everything (idenical) from back
> that from something else. (I suppost don't have any masinal make
> alllocalsoftare ; make install) rule in your source directory.)

    That is why I said depends.  /usr/local, being the domain of the local
administrator solely, does not fall well under generalistic rules.  My
personal preference is to not back up what is there because I normally have
the sources for anything I keep archived up and each one is but a make away.
If I had 40-50 different customized things in there, I'd agree.  But I've
never gotten to that point, even on my Slackware systems when I hand updated
everything.  I stress that that is me and complete why I started with
"depends" in the quoted material.