Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 02:43:59PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> * Steve Lamb said:
> > > Because it fits the Unix tradition of lazy typists. Im a lazy typist.
> > > Hear my carpal tunnel fingers cry out as they type the extra 4
> > > characters in /usr/opt

> >     Then why /home/ftp instead of /ftp?  Why /var/htdocs instead of /www?
> Because ftp is a USER and user's home belongs in /home. /var/www (NOT
> /var/htdocs, btw) because the home page is varying data, not a static one.
> Makes sense to you? Probably not, but it does for me.

    Oh, I get it now.  So if it is a *user* then we clearly place it in home.

    So...  Where's /home/qmail?  /home/games anyone?  /home/news?  /home/uucp?
Wait, wait, according to you, all the man pages clearly belong in /usr/man!
Oh, rats, what happened to /home/www-data? /home/majordomo?  /home/msql?
/home/irc?  /home/gnats?  /home/root?  /home/mail!  /home/list!
Wow, Marek, Debian sure placed all of those USER's home in /home.  I'm so glad
you cleared that up.

    What does varying data have to do with anything about the placement of
top-level directories based on a whim?  I mean, already /var/www is wrong
because it is a *USER* and should be placed in /home with the other varying
data, like /home/ftp is.