Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

* Branden Robinson said:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 05:59:33PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 5:40:28 PM, Raul wrote:
> > > As it happens, I already pointed you at the answer to that question,
> > > you were just too lazy to take the hint.  So [me being a fool], here's
> > > a quote (the rationale) from http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-3.8.html:
> >
> >     No, I knew what the rationale was and I don't agree with it one bit.  In
> > short, their rationale is wrong and we're repeating the mistake.
>
> Well, I'm glad we have you around to give us the unambiguous,
> unquestionable Word of God on the subject.
Steve has become annoyingly authoritative not only on this subject, but on
several other ones. It seems that a group of professionals who created FHS
and other standards was not very smart, while Steve is. Well, anyway I think
we'd better follow the fools, than Steve (although HE knows better). As said
before, /opt is a part of VERY reputable standards, a well established one
and undisputably useful one. I've seen several commercial packages which
rely upon the existence of /opt - therefore I see no reason NOT to provide
the directory. But Steve knows better. I guess it's just the way he tries to
get noticed by people. Oh well...

marek