Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

>>>Steve Lamb wrote:
 >     Considering one can install a fairly robust system (FreeBSD, Debian) over
 > FTP/NFS in under an hour and it takes 2-3 to go through a gig of data I would
 > much rather reinstall the programs and retrieve the relatively small data
 > (/etc, btw, is data).

As long at the installation could be made easy, if it's on an importande
machine that are cunstom installed I'm sure the installation (just
ansering all questions) would take a loot longer. (At least you HAVE to
remenber exactly what packages you had installed. (I don't)

The bast backup is that one that never get used. If you can affordit
backups are on harddrives, (using raid) and on an extra host. That you
also have a tape (in a diferent pysical location).

/ Balp