Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

>>>Steve Lamb wrote:
 > Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 1:45:46 PM, Marek wrote:
 > >>     Which would be for what reason?
 > > When for example it is mounted on a cdrom as a live CD system. Enough?
 >
 >     /usr/local, where you're going to keep local, custom builds of things, i

That are hopefully located on the "BIG, SECURE", server and that one
does not allow UNTRUSTED clients to write on the share! That way one
does not have to run arround and install every little local twist on
every mashine.

 >     But to answer your statement directly...  You start being reasonable and
 > I'll stop refuting your foolish positions.  Deal?

I.m.h.o. you without truing to see the problems aloot of the othar
admins run into, tells that your (the old way) is better. At the moment
(sadly) Debian is one of the least well suited distributions for large
scale use. There are simply to much work on to many location to fit
anything but small installations. Automated scriptable atp-get upgarde,
is one step, distriburder packedges are one other) Both are a help in
the large scale work.

/ Balp