Backups (was: /opt/ again)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:11:07 -0700, you wrote:
>Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 4:52:43 PM, Marc wrote:
>> IBTD. Backups are to get a crashed system up again _FAST_. And this
>> can be accomplished by dropping a single tape in.
>
>    There comes a point where one loses more time restoring tape than from
>recrating from scratch.
>
>    Considering one can install a fairly robust system (FreeBSD, Debian) over
>FTP/NFS in under an hour

If a broadband internet connection is available, yes. That doesn't
apply to all sites.

>and it takes 2-3 to go through a gig of data

The DDS-3 tape drive we use can backup and verify about 2 Gig per
hour. That compares to the throughput of roughly 4.5 Mbps. Since in
Germany you can either have 2 Mbps or 34 Mbps (the latter costing
about 5 KEuro per Month in line cost without even having it connected
to an ISP). Thus, your approach is rarely applicable over here.

>I would
>much rather reinstall the programs and retrieve the relatively small data
>(/etc, btw, is data).

ack. I'd dispense with backing up /usr iff dpkg could re-install all
packages that are known to be installed from /usr/state with a single
call.

btw, if you do it this way, /usr/local has to be considered data, too.

Greetings
Marc