Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 4:52:43 PM, Marc wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:20:52 -0700, you wrote:
>>    Backups are for data, not programs.

> IBTD. Backups are to get a crashed system up again _FAST_. And this
> can be accomplished by dropping a single tape in.

    There comes a point where one loses more time restoring tape than from
recrating from scratch.

    Considering one can install a fairly robust system (FreeBSD, Debian) over
FTP/NFS in under an hour and it takes 2-3 to go through a gig of data I would
much rather reinstall the programs and retrieve the relatively small data
(/etc, btw, is data).