Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was:

The packaging system sometimes breaks!  Or sometimes, you just don't want to
use it.  Or sometimes you are forced to install software that does NOT use
it.  Don't leave us out in the cold here.

Backups are a valid reason for the separation.  So is ease of duplication.
Raw dd only works sometimes, and you don't always want to copy the WHOLE
system.  Instead of installing Debian all over again I like to use a tarpipe
to copy over the "base" to a new harddisk, run GRUB on it, then I boot the
new drive and voila, a painless new install of Debian without sucking
anyones bandwidth or requiring me to painfully rummage around and dig up a
CDROM or floppy drive.  No time spent answering questions: just plunk my
current setup "as-is".

I hate being FORCED to do an "install" when a "copy" is just as good and
saves far more effort.  I duplicate hundreds of FreeBSD disks every month.
If only Linux was so easy.