Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Steve Lamb's letter:
> Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 1:34:34 PM, Jakob wrote:
> > Again: /usr/local is what YOU control, /opt is what THEY control.
>
> > Any questions?
>
>     /usr is what *we* control, /usr/local is what *they* control.  So why not
> something under /usr instead of a whole new top-level hierarchy?  I mean,
> personally, I prefer /ftp to /home/ftp (dumb place for /ftp, if you ask me)
> and /www as opposed to, what is it, /var/htdocs.  I also *really* like /misc
> for all those miscellaneous things which are to big, long-standing or private
> to shoe-horn into /tmp.

IMHO, /usr is what we (Debian) control, /usr/local is what I (the
sysadmin) control, /opt is where third-party package builders (e.g.,
Corel, KDE, Cygnus, etc...) control.

Ciao,
Federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio [http://www.bolinando.com/fog] {Friend of Penguins}
  Lord, defend me from my friends; I can account for my enemies.