Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:25:36AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Link /opt to /usr/local, what's the difference? None.

Assuming you don't care about systems where /usr/local is not writable.

Assuming you don't care about clean administration of backups (backup
office software with local mods?).

Assuming you don't care about writing documentation for new system owners.
(Try: "You have full responsibility and control over everything in
/usr/local/, except if you install commercial software").

I could probably think of better examples if I cared enough to waste
time on this issue.

If you want to link /opt to /usr/local/ that's fine.  But don't expect
that everyone will want to do that.

--
Raul