Re: Increasing regularity of build systems

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:24:31PM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> > It would be nice if more packages built as if you were running a
> > regular make, instead of restarting from the beginning (running
> > ./configure again), and in a more consistent manner.

> Unless I'm misunderstanding---entirely possible---I think this
> paragraph is talking about an entirely different thing from the
> first, and as frustrating as the status quo might seem, I think the
> alternative would be worse.

We are talking about different things.  When I run debian/rules, and
it runs configure for a program, trys to run make, etc etc, and then
dies, I don't want it to run configure again when I do debian/rules
again.

I am not talking about using the same configure setup across different
platforms, that would be crazy:-)

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            (    Circa mea pectora
davidw@prosa.it            )    multa sunt suspiria