Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 05:33:37AM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> Ah, so Linux is starting to grow up at last.  The base + packages
> distinction is crucial to making the whole thing manageable.  I and one of
> the glibc maintainers are working on a VERY small base system...  It is our
> hope that Debian and other distributions will see fit to use it.  It can be
> shoehorned in without much effort or disruption to every major distro I know
> of.  Once it is self hosting, it will be donated to the LSB as an example
> reference implementation.

Gee, I thought we had a base section...and ummm, priorities like
"Standard", "Optional", etc... How about just fine tuning what we have
(which is exactly what you're desribing) instead of wanting to gut and
rebuild our whole philosophy.

Ben