Re: Deficiencies in Debian

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 09:42:45AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > >    We have ben acknowledged that we need to reduce pre/postinst
> > >    interactions and some proposals have been made that are known as
> > >    "Configuration Management".  pre/postinst questions will interact
> > >    with a database that is able to contain preconfiguration so cluster
> > >    installations are easier.
> Oh well, yes... Joey has written dconfig, but that's it.

dconfig is by Goswin Braederlow (sp?), and is a separate project. (I've
no idea what it's up to, though...)

> Or am I
> mistaken?  Where are we going with that?  Does it meet Iwj's proposal
> from 1.5 years ago?

It's a good part of the way through Wichert's proposal; I'm not sure what iwj's
was. See: http://www.debian.org/~wakkerma/config6/

> If not, what is not addressed?

A decent backend database (we've got a hacky perl thing at the moment,
although hopefully we'll merge with Havoc Pennington's work on gconf,
which Gnome will be probably be using); some less crucial points of
Wichert's spec, and some issues with incorporating it into .deb's (mainly
how to get the config stuff invoked before the postinst tries to use it).

> Is it usable?

More or less, yes, afaik.

> Shall we switch to it?  What needs to be done to switch to it?

Straighten out the aforementioned problems, make sure the .deb works as
expected, and start converting postinsts to use it.

> Lots of unanswered questions.

Hopefully the above is some help then.

I'm assuming we're not going to worry too much about sticking this in
Debian proper until potato's frozen/released, personally, fwiw.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds