Re: Deficiencies in Debian

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 09:45:39PM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> We have a freeze date (Nov 1), but we
> apparently don't have anything we're supposed to accomplish in the
> next seven weeks.

This is not true.  From the message which set that date
(http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-announce-9908/msg00007.html):

    If the necessary projects are completed before that date, we can
    freeze.  (It will probably not happen exactly on that day).

    What remains to be done:

      - Fix lots of release-critical bugs.  We should be down to a number
        that can reasonably be fixed with NMUs or package removals in
        one week.  I'd like to have a bugfixing team standing by for this.
        Volunteers?

      - Prepare new bootdisks.  As far as I know there are still problems
        fitting Linux 2.2 and glibc 2.1 on them, and debian-boot needs
        help.

      - Create a release plan, detailing the steps from freeze to release.
        I will take the initiative for that this week.

      - Figure out what to do about C++ incompatibilities.  I don't
        think this issue has been raised yet.  Right now it looks
        like potato will be completely incompatible with slink for
        C++ programs.  We can no longer build the slink compatibility
        libraries on potato systems.

I don't think much has been done in any of these points.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)