Re: Debian's problems

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 11:00:19PM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> Limits can be brought about by doing one thing, that everyone
> will bitch and moan about: /not/ forking off into unstable once
> potato freezes, and having every single maintainer of every single
> critical bug incessantly tortured about it until it is fixed, if
> it's possible to be fixed. Believe me, frozen will be finished
> quickly.

Neglecting to open up unstable for development after a freeze will *not*
speed up release cycles. Think about it. A very large group of debian's
developers are highly specialized. If you take away their work, many of them
would sit idle until unstable *did* finally get rolling.
  It's not like we can dictate where people will spend their time in debian.
If you take away someone's freedom, he will most likely just sit on his
hands.

So if Joe developer usually takes 3 months to get a working, finished
package of his extremely complex package 'foo' perfected, delaying
unstable's appearance for 2 months will just change joe's time to 3+2 = 5
months.

This spells a several month longer release cycle.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.