Re: ash vs. bash

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 11:43:20PM +0200, Fabien Tassin wrote:
> (*) with /bin/sh -> bash, there's no way to obtain a shell if you loose /lib.

That's what the cdrom is for. I don't think this argument is all that
relevant. (If you really want a static shell, take a look at sash--it
also replicates the functionality of other programs, so you can actually
do somthing useful with it. If you lose /lib, /bin/sh by itself doesn't
buy you a whole lot.)

> (**) to be sure that scripts written with this shell will work on other
> Un*x (Solaris, Irix, HP-UX, etc..).

You've obviously got more respect for cross-vendor compatability than I
do...

Mike Stone