Re: Postfix as default MTA?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 11:30:22AM +0200, Thomas Quinot wrote:
> Wietse Venema just announced that, starting with the latest
> snapshot (19990627), Postfix will be released under the
> IBM Public License, which is DFSG-free.
>
> Postfix is generally regarded as being far more
> secure than other MTAs such as Sendmail or Exim, and
> is also very fast and easy to configure.
>
> My personal opinion is it would be great to make it
> the new default MTA for Debian GNU. What do you
> think of this proposal?

First let's put it in main and wait a few months until more developers gave
postfix some real world experience wrt configurability. If postfix is
fast that's nice but the _default_ Debian MTA should be _very_ configurable
too as it's used in setups ranging from dialup home systems to heavily
loaded mailinglist managers.

I have got no postfix experience yet and I want to compare it to exim
before judging if it's better suited as Debian's default MTA.

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de