Re: Niced cron jobs

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 01:56:11PM -0500, David Welton wrote:
> Haven't heard anything about this in a while, so I'm checking up on
> how it's going...
>
> To reiterate, the plan is to nice cron jobs, so that when anacron or
> similar programs run, they don't slow down the system too awfully
> much.  The only negative brought up was that Debian shouldn't be
> futzing with the defaults, which doesn't really seem to hold water,
> because Debian does this all over the place (ipfwadm rules in the
> networking scripts, for instance).

I'm full in favor of the idea. I think it is so reasonable that it should be
default from the beginning. I followed the thread, too, and I couldn't see a
single *real* reason against it. If anybody has any technical reason why any
user would not want to have the cron-jobs run niced, please speak up.

Anyway - making a distribution is 90% about trying to find a reasonable,
flexible default configuration so the users have as little work as possible
to put together a well-configured system for their use.

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!