Re: Another Linux distro (and package format) launced

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 10:58:26AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> For another, we don't really have any
> *convenient* way for a local sysadmin to maintain a set of local
> patches to an existing package (this is a major issue in my eyes).

We don't even have such a system for ourself, which forces maintainers of
big packages like glibc, egcs etc to support multiple (arch dependand) patches
in their rules files, which makes the complex and difficult to understand
for non-maintainers.

We need a new source format (again), everyone knows that. With multiple,
arch dependand patches, source dependencies and maybe more. I think everyone
has his little wishlist.

We also need better arch dependencies. See debian-policy for details.

Marcus