Re: RFC: debhelper v2

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> or
>
> * I've observed that large multi-binary packages end up with an unruly
>   debian/ directory with all the <package>.* files in it. It may make sense
>   to make debhelper use debian/<package>/* instead. Of course this requires
>   that directory is no longer used as the temporary build directory.

debmake originally implemented multi-binary packages that way. The
problems is that patch on some platforms does not allow the creation of
directories. For example for my experiments with Debian/Solaris I could
not use the native patch tool to generate the sourcepackages.

There is or was something in the policy too about diffs not generating new
directories. With such a scheme you would have to. I hope that policy does
no longer exist.

                        Christoph Lameter, MSCS, M.Div.
  Available for a job or consulting (see http://lameter.com/consulting.html)