Re: QT 2.0 and DFSG?

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 08:52:01AM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> According to the troll tech site, Qt 2.0 is very well on its way to
> stability. As most everyone has now heard, it is being licensed under the
> QPL.
>
> Now, hrmm, the QPL looks quite open-source to me (distribution of
> modifications in the form of patches... etc), but it does have a few
> confusing points:

I might as well comment before this gets too hairy...  As for patches,
they are not technically required as long as it's possible to seperate
your modifications from the original.  CVS and the like are cited as
acceptable.

> The license says that modifications may be included (without warning) in
> subsequent (official) releases of Qt, but it does not specify which version
> they may be included in (Commercial or Open Source?)

Both.  They are from 2.0 on the same version.

> All modifications must be under QPL? (Does GPL do this?)

Yes and no, for our purposes yes.  And the GPL does indeed.

> Section 3 clause a is confusing.

Don't remove Copyright notices?  That's not confusing, to do so would
probably be fraudulent anyway and spelling it out is generally regarded
as a good idea.

> But, what was the consensus? Is QPL DFSG? It looks like it to me...

It's fine.  A little rough in places, but it's fine.

> At least it doesn't allow linking to non-free.

To protect commercial interests, naturally.

<Culus> bma:  Oh, I tried 'killall inetd' and apparently killall is the
        same as kill -TERM -1  on solaris
<rcw> Culus: hahahahahaha
<Culus> bma:  kinda sucked because the machine rebooted :P
<bma> Culus, that's SICK
<rcw> Culus: mental note - don't EVER type "killall" on anything but
      linux until you know for sure
<Culus> rcw:  Well I typed killall just hoping to get a usage message
<Knghtbrd> Culus - you told it to killall and it did!
<Knghtbrd> Culus - you asked for it man  =>
<seeS>        Be  warned  that  typing  killall  name  may  not have the
<seeS>        desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when  done
<seeS>        by a privileged user.