Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 09:53:09PM -0500, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:

> I personally can see absolutely *no* reason NOT to do Debian/GNU FreeBSD.

The problem is that people that would otherwise be working on something
useful would have their time taken up with this.  If there's no value to it,
why should we spend energy on it?  FreeBSD is a dead-end path anyway.

> I've talked with a lot of webmaster types. And the word on the street is
> that they prefer FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD. They handle higher loads better
> than Linux, supposedly. Now, if I'm not mistaken, it's "Software in the

There is a lot of misconception out there.  That *USED* to be the case, but
has not been for some time.

> Public Interest." I believe that Debian/GNU (FreeBSD,OpenBSD,NetBSD) is in
> the public interest. It may be a small public, as compared to Linux, but
> it is still the public.

I'm again not sure what it buys us.  If Linux has problems with high loads,
why not work to fix it instead of using FreeBSD?  Really, FreeBSD is a
dead-end road, as I've said.  Linux, or Hurd, is the future.

John