Re: Conflicting packages not of extra priority.

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 09:15:51PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:

> > > it may be worth to fix some of the priority values in slink to comply with
> > > policy.
> >
> > There is only one person's opinion; [...]
>
> This is what the person who wrote the policy said it meant.
> You will not change the policy by saying it means a different thing.
>
> It may be poorly worded, but this is what it means.

Several points:

1) "That's the idea" does not in any way go so far as to qualify it as a bug
if it is different from that idea.

2) The very e-mail to which you refer admits to being rather behind in
debian-policy

3) Policy must not be a collection of the written and the unwritten; we must
go by what is written.  If something is omitted, it is omitted, and claiming
"but he just forgot to put that in there" is not sufficient; if that is
truly the case, you should have no trouble amending the policy, right?  So
why don't you go and follow the amendment procedure, and them come back when
and if your amendment is accepted?

John