Re: An old idea, brought back to life

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 06:00:14PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > It forces us to make sure that if we make such changes that we can have a
> > hybrid libc5/libc6 system.
>
> I am not so sure if I agree with that. Developing on a mixed libc5/libc6
> system probably showed us a lot of the issues involved. If we had
> moved to a unstable libc6 very fast and pushed finished libc6 things
> into a slowly libc6-ifying stable we would probably has missed a couple
> of things.

I remember some of those issues actually.  As I said, such changes would
have to be made carefully.  It might require some workarounds be made but
I think we should make them anyway because it's right that we want to
remain compatible with older stuff.

> > It kinda makes the developer decide their package is ready enough for
> > release rather than having to decide it's not.
>
> He can do that now as well by filing a bugreport for ftp.debian.org. The
> only thing you change is that now a package is released automatically,
> and with this proposal a maintainer needs to do it manually. Both have
> their advantages and disadvantages.

<nod>  There are always pros and cons of any idea.  Obviously if the cons
outweigh the pros we shouldn't do it, but I haven't seen any other
suggestions yet.

--
NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!