Re: Debian violates GPL?

On Sat 19 Dec 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Hmm. Should this be disallowed?
>
> A new debian revision should mean a revision of the DEBIAN part of
> the package -- the diff only.

What's worse, I've seen a number of cases where dpkg-buildpackage
silently generated a debian-specific tar file instead of a .diff because
the orig.tar.gz was missing from the parent directory. This results in a
source upload without any .orig.tar.gz, which means the .orig.tar.gz
that was there is now gone! And apparently dinstall silently accepts
such a change of the source package format, without a corresponding
change in upstream version number.  I can imagine that this can be
necessary in certain cases, but those could be catered for by overriding
manually.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org