Re: fonts.alias

Piotr Roszatycki <dexter@fnet.pl> wrote:
> I prepared new package with ISO-8859-2 fonts (BIZNET).
> I put my fonts to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/(misc|100dpi|75dpi) directories.
> The reason is the fonts are aviailable without configuration XF86Config or
> font server config.
>
> The problem is fonts.alias file. BIZNET needs own aliases but standard
> aliases are owned by xfonts-*.deb packages.
>
> I think fonts.alias file is some kind of configuration file, then
> it should be aviailable for user modifications.

Why not just fix the font files so that they provide proper names?

>From the mkfontdir man page:

       For each directory argument, mkfontdir reads  all  of  the
       font files in the directory searching for properties named
       "FONT", or (failing that) the name of the file stripped of
       its suffix.  These are converted to lower case and used as
       font names...
       The file "fonts.alias", which can be put in any  directory
       of  the  font-path,  is  used to map new names to existing
       fonts, and should be edited by hand.

--
Raul