Re: Debian violates GPL?

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 11:15:22AM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> cvs-buildpackage untars the tree so it can put it under CVS, so
> reconstructing the upstream tarfile does require re-tarring it.  This
> means that gzip/tar differences could make the resulting tarfiles
> slightly different, though the contents should be bit-for-bit
> identical.  This is a drawback, but not one I can see a good way
> around.

Unless something major i have missed this is needed for most of the
.orig.tar.gz files anyway. Since there need to be a rename of the base
directory inside the tar, no? There are some tar archives out there which
just dont fit in the "single directory with named version" approach
dpkg-source likes.

Greetings
Bernd
--