Re: Debian violates GPL?

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 10:30:31PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:

> While in the process of getting Debian to work on the UltraSparc and
> update all of the out of date packages, I came across a rather
> alarming problem: there a quite a few binary packages in binary-sparc
> (and binary-*) that don't have source.  One example is
> "glibc-pre2.1-2.0.100.orig.tar.gz", which disappeared from potato when
> "glibc-pre2.1-2.0.105.orig.tar.gz" was uploaded (slink has an older
> version).

We wouldn't have this problem if sparc would be frozen by
now. Unfortunately that's not the case. Ftpmasters, do you know when
you will find the time to freeze sparc ? (I certainly don't want to
push you -- you are overworked anyway -- but we __really__ need the
freeze)

> The sparc distribution has 300 packages that are older versions than
> the ones in slink which means that the source and/or diff files are
> missing.  This would violate the GPL.

I wanted to wait till the i386 recompilation rush settles down a bit
so we don't have to recompile stuff twice.

> Everything runs fine both with and without the newer egcs, but you
> can't compile and link stuff with the new glibc and the current sparc
> egcs.  The sparc egcs is also out of date with respect to i386 slink
> anyways.

Right.

Greetings,

				Christian