Re: Debian violates GPL?

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> I'd like you to tell me how orig.tar.gz isn't binary.

Easy, Manoj's scripts archive the untarred orig tree, and each new
upstream release gets checked on this same CVS branch with a new tag.
This means that the CVS repository is just storing the diffs between
upstream releases and between debian releases on a file by file basis
(no tarfiles).

You can check out any upstream version, or any debian version (which
is just the upstream branch with the right Debian diff branch merged
in).  Manoj's scripts automate *all* of this, including checking out
the right branch and making the orig.tar.gz when you need to do an
upload.

> How can we satisfy that clause without making it available for
> anonymous access?

I was under the impression that we just have to make the source
available on demand charging no more than reasonable
shipping/handling.  If that's so, then this is no problem.  Now we'd
still have the current source/diff/orig files on the mirrors, so this
would only be an issue for people who want something old.