Re: a few q's

>> "JR" == Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:

JR> On 19.12.1998., at 11:26, martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de wrote:
JR> I don't know the official Debian umask mode, but I've
JR> noticed the 002 somewhere in /etc when I installed
JR> first time. Although programs that create files should
JR> set perms themselves, IMHO that should be 022.
JR> (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/29/29338.html)
>>
>> What is wrong with umask 002 as default? As default, every user has
>> its own group, so this should be OK, no?

JR> The 022 setting is more 'user-friendly' for systems that
JR> have groups with multiple users.

Yes, but one has to change the default debian behaviour to get
this. 002 is reasonable with the default setup. If you change the default, you
have to change everything related. If you don't know the consequences
of a change, don't do it.

OK, I admit, this is a bit harsh. Would we loose some functionality,
if we change the default? If we change it, it could also hit some
users who didn't expect the change (could also affect automated
scripts, but these should ensure their environment anyway).

I'd say we leave it the way it is now.

JR> In any case (default umask changed or not), this bug report
JR> should be closed.

AOL

Ciao,
	Martin