Re: Proposed recompilation to remove dependency on libc6 2.0.7u

Santiago Vila wrote:
> Clearly, having to [I]nstall twice will be better than having to [I]nstall
> three times, and also once is better than twice.
>
> Don't you see still a reason to recompile essential packages?

No.  But you can convince me, maybe you can. :)

Nobody is able to upgrade only essential package with dselect and
a regular slink archive.  You're always upgrading a lot of other
packages at the same time, unless you set all others on hold.  Thus
it would make sense to recompile all packages that provide too strong
dependencies - or none of them.

If you're only upgrading essential packages you have to use dpkg
on your own.  If you'e able to manage that, you're also able to
install two more packages (libc6 and libc6-dev).

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  --Larry Wall