Re: Nomination question: Redhat

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 06:43:07PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > REMCO!!!  <hugs>  You're the first person to actually make note of the
> > fact that I do not subscribe to the arguments but was just repeating
> > them in this forum for those who missed them elsewhere..  =>
>
> Really? If you disagreed you probably wouldn't be repeating them.

I don't really totally disagree.  I regard it as not enough information
to make a really good decision.  I consider it highly improbable.
Repeating someone else's argument is not unheard of, really.  I tend to
believe personally that a person willing to play devil's advocate with a
point they don't agree with just for the sake of discussing the point and
possibly convincing others it's not right is someone who is making their
decisions in an informed manner.

You can't make an informed decision till you've heard all the arguments
and understood them.

> My high school English teacher told me that if you want to make a point,
> but you think the reader could disagree, just preface it with
> "It could be argued that..." Something similar is at work here.

You're right and you could word things that way solely to get out of
responsibility for your views, but I generally think this is is just
wrong.  When I'm giving my opinion I have no reservations about making
sure everyone knows how I feel, believe me.  =>

--
"Yours, if you can get it to work."  -- Judge Dredd