Re: Upstream maintainer adding debian/rules

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 08:28:21PM +0200, Kalle Niemitalo wrote:
> Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> writes:
>
> > Please, PLEASE, make the resulting .deb Policy conformant!
>
> I'm trying hard :)

Good.

> In fact, that's why I asked here in the first place.

I just wanted to make sure we agree. :-)

> > > I don't want to become an official Debian developer, at least not
> > > yet.  I'm too lazy for that
> >
> > Then you shouldn't make a package.
>
> How come?  I don't see how it would hurt anyone.

I was reading your original mail as saying "I'll make a quick package,
never mind if it's quality or not, it works for me so it must work for
all the others, too".  But this was a worst-case reading, and I'm
happy to find out that it wasn't the right way to read it.

> I'm not sure they are benefits.  Should RPM DUMB users be reporting
> the bugs to Debian?  I doubt it.

No, but Debian users can use their familiar submit@bugs.debian.org
address for reporting bugs.  That's a big advantage in my eyes.

> So you say I should make a detailed list of all the infinite bugs,

No, just list one or two of the worst, or say "this package isn't
release quality".  I've seen a bug of the latter kind being filed by
the appropriate package maintainer.  In fact, this was recommended in
-mentors about a month ago, IIRC.

> mail a copy of my driver's license to the US

Email is sufficient.  I believe you could ask the new maintainer
people for their preferred PGP key so you can encrypt the photo if
you're that paranoid.

Or, if you live near a Debian developer, you could get your PGP key
signed.  If I am accepted before you file your application, I'll
volunteer for that in Jyväskylä (where I live), Äänekoski (where my
father lives) and Tampere (where my mother lives), and thereabouts.

> and invent and remember one or two new passwords?  Uh-oh...

Use ssh and RSA authentication :-) And upload via the European upload
queues.

> > Yes.  You might want to keep your job as a upstream developer and the
> > Debian packager separated.
>
> If I do that, must all tar.gz files be in two versions (xxx and
> xxx.orig)?

The upstream and Debian .orig tarballs are identical, just the name is
different.  You can eg. symlink them in your FTP site, if you want.

        Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho A7 <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

                       The FAQ is your friend.