Re: We need easier installation.

--On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 9:36 AM +0100 "M.C. Vernon" <mcv21@cus.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

>> I think it is also critical for us to set up a standard window/desktop
>> manager configuration.  Maybe GNOME, or if KDE gets their stuff together.
>> This will eliminate a lot of confusion on the installation, between the
>> differences of an Xserver and a Window Manager.  I know that there are
>> better wm, as far as speed, and memory usage goes, but I think we should
>
> For eye-candy value, how about E with a debian theme?

This idea has occurred to me before - and I think it's a good one.  E is
progressing well - the latest E even shows the debian menu automagically
(well, I assume it's because our gnome packages incorporate the debian menu
into the gnome menu, which is i what E uses).

In fact, we could supply a couple of possible themes - one lightweight, one
heavier-weight, perhaps.

But all of this will fall together more nicely when gnome is more complete..

Jules

P.S. *please* let the Debian default X setup not look like Win9x, as it does
in at least one other major linux distro...

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |