Re: Mirror things

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 01:03:38PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> It is a rotating dns entry between a set of push mirrors in the US. I
> would like to know how well this works for people so please try it out and
> let me know. It will likely be the future APT default.

That's a pretty good idea.  On my cable modem, I get wildly varying results
between different sites even in the U.S., but this is certainly better than
always using ftp1.us.debian.org by default.

> Each time you run APT it will randomly select one of the sites and use it
> for the duration OF THAT RUN, the next run will use another site.

Is this wise?  It seems to me that 'apt-get update' will then use a
different server than 'apt-get install' or so.  I understand that these are
push servers, but I just want to be sure that you've thought of this...

Have fun,

Avery